“The Divine Sister is such goddamned fun, you’d think
Charles Busch was trying to get us all excommunicated!”
- David Cote, Time Out New York
THE DIVINE SISTER
FEATURED IN THE NEW YORKER
THE DIVINE SISTER, the new hit comedy written by and starring Charles Busch, is featured in this week’s issue of The New Yorker. Photographer Landon Nordeman took photos of the cast during a technical rehearsal. To see additional photos from the shoot posted to The New Yorker’s blog, CLICK HERE.
Since opening in September, THE DIVINE SISTER has been universally hailed by critics. Below are a sampling of some of the latest praise for the production:
“Comic genius Charles Busch is the funniest nun in town and he’s back where he belongs in THE DIVINE SISTER his popular new comedy at the SoHo Playhouse where the laughs are flowing freely.”
- Michael Riedel, New York Post
“FOUR STARS! THE DIVINE SISTER is such goddamned fun, you’d think Charles Busch was trying to get us all excommunicated! Playwright and unparalleled female impersonator Charles Busch ransacks pop culture to maximum comic effect.”
- David Cote, Time Out New York
“A miracle! The iconic Charles Busch, the once and future queen of downtown theatre, is making a gag-packed return to classic form with THE DIVINE SISTER.”
- Scott Brown, New York Magazine
“The comic genius Charles Busch and his universally excellent cast are delighting audiences in this howlingly funny paean to the brides of Christ.”
- Liz Smith
“Call the laugh academy and slip the straitjacket on now, Charles Busch’s absurdly silly play has an infallibility most popes would envy.”
- Michael Feingold, The Village Voice
“God bless Charles Busch for giving us THE DIVINE SISTER an over the top show that revels in ridiculous fun and sustained silliness
- Michael Bracken, Metro
“A hell of a good time!”
- Jesse Oxfeld, New York Observer
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE DIVINE SISTER
THE DIVINE SISTER is Charles Busch’s outrageous comic homage to nearly every Hollywood film involving nuns: The Song of Bernadette, The Bells of St. Mary’s, The Singing Nun and Agnes of God. THE DIVINE SISTER tells the story of St. Veronica’s indomitable Mother Superior (played by the legendary Charles Busch). Come join this madcap trip through Tinseltown religiosity from the creator of Die Mommie Die, Psycho Beach Party and Vampire Lesbians of Sodom.
Directed by Busch’s long time collaborator Carl Andress, the production also stars Alison Fraser, Amy Rutberg, Jennifer Van Dyck, Jonathan Walker, and Julie Halston.
The creative team includes: Scenic and Graphic Design by B.T. Whitehill, Costume Design by Fabio Toblini, Lighting Design by Kirk Bookman, Sound Design by Jill BC DuBoff, Wig Design by Katherine Carr, and Original Music by Lewis Flinn.
For more information, updates on the show, and to visit THE DIVINE SISTER blog, visit: www.DivineSisterOnstage.com
Tickets for THE DIVINE SISTER are on sale now via www.Ovationtix.com, by calling 212-691-1555, or at the SoHo Playhouse box office (15 Vandam Street between Sixth Avenue and Varick Street). Tickets for Tuesday through Sunday matinee performances are $75.00. Tickets for Sunday evening performances are $45.
Performance schedule for THE DIVINE SISTER is:
REGULAR PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE:
- Tuesday through Saturday at 8 PM, Sunday at 7 PM. Matinees on Saturday and Sunday at 3 PM.
HOLIDAY PERFORMANCE SCHEDULES
- HALLOWEEN WEEK: MONDAY, OCTOBER 25 – SUNDAY, OCTOBER 31 (7 PERFORMANCES THIS WEEK): Tuesday through Saturday at 8 PM. Matinees on Saturday and Sunday at 3 PM.
- THANKSGIVING WEEK: MONDAY, NOVEMBER 22 – SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 28: Monday through Wednesday at 8 PM, Friday and Saturday at 8 PM, Sunday at 7 PM. Matinees on Saturday and Sunday at 3 PM.
- CHRISTMAS WEEK: MONDAY, DECEMBER 20 – SUNDAY, DECEMBER 26: Tuesday through Friday at 8 PM, Sunday at 7 PM. Matinee on Sunday at 3 PM (6 performances).
- NEW YEAR’S WEEK: MONDAY, DECEMBER 27 – SUNDAY, JANUARY 2: Monday through Thursday at 8 PM, Saturday at 8 PM, Sunday at 7 PM. Matinees on Saturday and Sunday at 3 PM.